A. Basic Principles
In treating arthritis, dietary treatment has to accompany medical treatment. Arthritis originates from abnormality build-up of Uric Acid in the blood and dietary treatment can help to reduce the level of acid in the system.
1) The ingredient of Uric Acid is animal protein and the limit the intake a day to approximately 100-150 mg. Do not take foods are highly content animal protein.
2) Do not consume excessive protein foods. Excess protein intake will increase the production of Uric Acid. Limit the intake from 60-70g a day.
3) If obese, maintain standard weight or under 10% of standard weight by reducing calories intake. In event of weight loss, usually uric acid level drops. But extreme calorie limitation will induce uric acid level to rise so not recommended. If male is obese, please limit to 1400-1800 kcal intake, if female obesity 1200-1600 kcal intake, and monthly 1kg weight loss should both be a target. At this rate, a person can gradually reduce the level of Uric Acid.
4) Try to take in as many carbohydrates as possible to decrease the level of Uric Acid. low fat diet so eat fried foods, fatty meat, fish moderately.
5) Excess alcohol intake is not recommended. Sometime it can be excused per patient but patient is prohibited from drinking.
6) Take plenty of water in order to discharge uric acid aggressively. Keep one day’s consumption to 2000ml.
7) Obese person should eliminate sugar intake.
B. Be Positive
1) Water Content Food – Soup, Porridge, Beverage.
C. Food to take
1) Grain – Rice, Bread, Noodles (Buckwheat Noodles, Udon), Spaghetti, Corn.
2) Dairy Food – Milk, Cheese, Butter, Non-Fat Oil.
3) Vegetables, Potato – Potato, Yam, Taro, Tomato, Squash, Cucumber, Egg Plant, Cabbage, and Chinese Cabbage.
4) Seaweed, Kelp, Egg, Pollack, and Caviar
5) Fruit, Oil & Fat, Vinegar, Salt, Soy Sauce, Honey, Sugar, Coffee, Cocoa, and Chocolate.
1) Meat Stock (beef broth, etc.) sardines.
2) Pork, lamb, chicken, beef, peas, oatmeal, spinach, asparagus, bacon, tuna, mackerel, trout, halibut, herring, red snapper, yellow tail, salmon, silver fish, mackerel pike, mud fish, short necked clam, octopus. Cod-roe, pork sirloin, chicken breast, flat fish.
1) Sugar in Tea, Coffee, Juice, Carbonated Beverage, need to limit these for weight loss.
2) Pork liver, beef liver, Sardines, Squid, Shrimp, Mackerel Pike Stew. Anchovies. Mackerel, Kidneys, Beef Broth, Fish Eggs.
F. Dietary Plan
(Main) Rice, bread. Noodles Take moderately
Beef, Fish, Soy Bean, Bean Products Avoid
Fish, Beef Intestines, Clams Prohibit
Eggs Take moderately
Potato, Squash, Seaweeds Take moderately
Vegetable Take Abundantly
(Snack) Milk, Dairy Foods, Fruit, Cookies Take moderately
Caffeine, Carbonated Beverage Try to avoid
(Etc.) Sugar, Vinegar, Spices, Salt, Soy Sauce, Take moderately
Bean Paste, Oil
Breakfast: Rice, Seaweed Soup, Cabbage Kimchi, Egg(Steamed), Crown Daisy Herbs, Milk(Non-fat)
Lunch: Rice, Bean Sprout Soup, Radish Kimchi, Perrilla Herbs, Fish Stew.
Snack: Sandwich(Jam), Orange Juice.
Dinner: Rice, Potato Soup, Cabbage Kimchi, Tofu Stew, Radish herbs(cucumber), Fruits.